Parent Organizations

Hi Everyone,

This week I thought I spend a little time discussing the different parent organizations we have on campus. Every school usually has a few and we are no different. The goals of the various organizations are quite different, but they all have a common goal and that is to provide support to the school. McMillin is an amazing school with a tremendous amount of volunteers and because of this our school is a standout in the community. Almost daily, I receive phone calls and visits from parents who are interested in sending their children here and they all same the same thing, “We heard McMillin is a great school!” Although there’s not enough room to accept all request, it does give me a great sense of pride to know that families want to have their children at our school. I must say however, that a big reason we have this reputation is because of the excellent teachers and the community that is committed to making us an excellent school! Below are some of the groups we have and what they do. If you’d like more info on any of them or want to get involved please let me know:

• Most of you probably know that we have a PTA (Parent Teacher Organization). The parents who volunteer to be part of this group give a tremendous amount of time and energy, but it is completely voluntary. Most families contribute financially by becoming members of the PTA (this year membership is only $5!!). Others however have a desire to be directly involved with some of the different events such as our upcoming Fall Festival or our McMillin Idol show to name a couple. The majority of the funds raised by the PTA go directly back to the school providing playground equipment, assemblies, teacher supplies, and just about anything else the school needs to support the students.
  • School Site Council is a combination of parents and staff members whose main goal is to oversee the school budget and it goals for the year. On our SSC we have 6 parents (who are elected into office by you) and 6 staff members (elected by other staff). Each year the SSC makes key decisions as to how funding should be utilized to make our school as effecient and successful as possible. Elections are held each year, so if your interested please let us know.
  • Another important group is our English Language Advisory Committee. This is a voluntary group of parents who come together to support those students who are learning English. The committee meets once a month and learns what the school is doing with our EL students as well as what parents can do at home to support achievement. In addition, the committee provides recommendations and suggestions to the school so we know what parents need to support their kids. With around 25% of our population being catagorized as English Learners, this is a growing group so it is critical that we have an open source of communication between school and home and our ELAC volunteers is a critical part of our success.

Next week I’ll spend some time introducing you to the different voluteer efforts our teachers participate in. I think you’ll be amazed and in awe (as I am) as to how much time and energy our teachers give on a daily basis 🙂

Well that’s it for now, I hope you all have a phenomenal week!

Mr. Mora