Aug 18-22

trafficsignblogpicGood Afternoon Everyone,

I wanted to let all of you know that each year we take a look at how to improve traffic at McMillin, especially our after school pick up. To give you a little history, in the 5 years that I’ve served this community as principal we have conducted various community meetings, asked the CVPD to give suggestions, had parent volunteers help, and spoke to the city’s planners, all in an effort to improve the flow of traffic. As a result, we’ve been able to limit the majority of the congestion to the first 10 min after school let’s out, but it’s obviously still a challenge. The challenge is especially taxing for those individuals that are not coming to pick up a student, but instead are only coming into the neighborhood.

The two biggest problems are:

1. Once the pick-up lane in front of the school stops flowing, cars back up all the way down Santa Cora into E. Palomar.
  2. There is only one way in and out from the school and when traffic gets backed up going southbound on Santa Cora, cars exiting the school can’t make the left to merge onto Santa Cora.

Over the next few weeks I will continue to look for ways to keep traffic moving and limit the frustration we all feel. I respectfully ask that as we continue to look for solutions, please continue to follow all traffic rules and show courtesy to other car drivers and pedestrians. I also want to encourage as many as possible to take advantage of your proximity to our school and walk, ride your bike, scooter or skateboard. Not only is it great exercise, but its the least stressful way to deal with traffic. Thank you for your support.

elacELAC Meeting
On Tuesday, Aug 19, at 8:30 am in the auditorium, we will have our first English Learners Advisory Committee. If you are interested in learning more about how McMillin supports our English Learners please stop by for this informative meeting.