Here are a few areas or ways to be involved!
- Beagle Bolt Jog-a-Thon – Our schools biggest fundraiser! The PTA and teachers work together to make this a fun event for our students and make it an easy fundraiser for our school. All of the money earned stays here on our school site to help fund things like field-trips, in-class computer programs, and supplies. Scheduled for Sept. 8, 2017.
- Games/Movie/Field Sports Nights – Just ways for us to build community. We hope to host at least 1 event per quarter. First game night – Tuesday, August 29th @6:30 – 8:00pm.
- School Camp-Out – First time for us to try this! This would be an opportunity for your family to come and set up a tent on the back lawn to sleep at the school. Sounds fun right?? We would have hot dogs for dinner, outdoor games to play, and a night-time movie. If you are interested in helping with the planning for this fun, family event – please let us know! Scheduled for October 13-14th.
- Red-Ribbon Week – Helping promote Student Safety, Drug, and Alcohol-Free Campaigns. October 2017
- Book Fair at Barnes and Noble (Otay Ranch) – This is an easy event to help with, and a great way to help raise money to purchase books and other items for the school. Date TBD – Late November or early December 2017
- Holiday Store – A fun event for our students – giving them a place to purchase gifts for family members. We need help to work in the store during student lunch hours and after school. December 2017 – Actual dates still to be determined.
- Winter Sing for grades K-2– Fun family evening where we gather as a school and enjoy the arts! Volunteers needed to help organize kids for their grade level events. December 2017
- Beyond Awareness – Something special for our McMillin students, where we have special speakers and visitors on our campus sharing their stories of learning or physical disabilities, and how they have found ways to share their talents and abilities! Spring 2018
- Reading week – We look for volunteers to come and read in classrooms. March 2018
- Spring Carnival – A really fun family event, where we get to enjoy the community! But lots of volunteers needed in preparation for the event, and the day of! Spring 2018
- Staff Appreciation – Helping to find creative ways to encourage and appreciate our school staff by preparing meals or decorating doors, or organizing class thank you’s! May 2018
- McMillin’s Got Talent – A fun event for students, to show-case all of the talent at McMillin! This is a great family event that needs help with decorating, and organizing! May 2018.
- Food – Everyone loves to gather around food! If you enjoy and are able to help with baking or food prep for staff or parent events, let us know! We need you 🙂
Please sign up so we can contact you with upcoming events and needs, or follow us on Facebook to see updates there as well!
Find us on Facebook at McMillin Elementary School PTA
Contact us by email at mcmillin.pta.volunteer
Please come to our first meeting at Olympic View this Tuesday. All parents welcome. There will be translators for Spanish and Japanese.
The McMillin Running Club will be starting this Monday, August 7th. This year it is our goal to run 20,000 miles as a school or enough miles to run around the world. Last year, our students ran a combined 983 miles in just two months and this year we want to shatter that mark and reach a goal of around 20,000 miles.
Each morning 1st-6th graders will have the opportunity to run laps on the grass in the back of the school, weather permitting. Each student will receive a laminated running club card from their teacher that will be scanned after each lap that they run. Students should keep these cards in their backpacks so that they can grab them each morning before running. Students and families can track our miles on this site https://mcmillin.active4.me/ and we will also plot our journey on the Running Club bulletin board located in our school library. Students will also receive feet for their keychains when they personally reach 5 miles, 10 miles, 20, 30, 40…
Please encourage your child to run or walk every morning to promote a healthy start of the day and to help us run around the world!
The McMillin PTA would like to invite you to our first association and informational meeting this Friday, August 4th at 8:15am in the school auditorium.
We will be covering and approving our upcoming school year budget, and sharing some upcoming events to put on your calendar.
If you are new to McMillin, we would LOVE to meet you. Our goal as a PTA is to work to serve our students and staff at McMillin, and provide a safe community for families to connect, build relationships and work together.
We understand that there are many working parents, so our meeting will be timely.
If you were a PTA member last year, we need you to come and approve our new school year budget.
Please come and find out what we are all about! Our incoming PTA board is ready to work hard to serve our great school! There will be coffee and light breakfast items.
McMillin Elementary PTA President
Good Morning, McMillin parents,
The Chula Vista Elementary School District will be offering two opportunities for parents to preview the A.G.E. curriculum that will be presented to 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students during the 17/18 school year. The first one will be on Monday, August 21st starting at 6:00 p.m. The second one will be on Monday, January 22nd, also starting at 6:00 p.m. Both sessions will be at the district office located at 84 East “J” Street, Chula Vista, CA 91910. Parents will have an opportunity to browse through the teacher manuals, student booklets and also view the DVDs. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call the district office at 619-425-9600. Thank you.
What a GREAT first week. This year is going to be AWESOME!!
Our Visual Arts and Performing Arts (VAPA) starts this week. Your child will get to meet their Art (Mrs. Hernandez), Music (Mr. Simsic, Drama (Ms. DeJerez), and PE (Mrs. Caguioa) teachers this week. The VAPA teachers will be picking up students on the blacktop and dismissing students depending on what time your child has VAPA.
Monday, July 24th
- VAPA Kinder(morning) and 1st Grade (afternoon)
Tuesday, July 25th
- VAPA 4th (morning) and 2nd (afternoon)
- Back-to-School Night for TK, 2, and 3rd grades in student’s classrooms
- TK and Kinder 4:30 – 5:30 pm
- 2nd and 3rd Grade 5:30-6:30 pm
Wednesday, July 26th
- VAPA 5th(morning) and 3rd
- Jonathan and Cindy at a district leadership meeting (7:30-10)
- Back-to-School Night for 4th-6th grades in student’s classrooms
- 4th and 5th Grade 4:30 – 5:30 pm
- 6th Grade 5:30-6:30 pm
Thursday, July 27th
- VAPA 6th(morning) and ILT Primary Teachers
- Back-to-School Night for 1st and SDC in student’s classrooms
- 1st Grade and SDC 4:30-5:30 pm
Friday, July 28th
- VAPA – TK and SDC (morning)
- Dismissal is 1:15 for 1st -6th grades and 1:00 for Kinder
Wednesday, August 2nd
- SSC Meeting (3:00-4:00) in office